The coordinator of youth ministry (CYM) provides vision and coordination for the parish’s efforts in ministry to young people from 9th through 12th grades. This includes high school sessions (weekly or bi-weekly gatherings) and monthly activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
(other duties may be assigned)
Parish staff member–the CYM will be responsible to:
• Attend regular staff meetings
• Participate in staff planning
• Communicate to staff about youth ministry activities
• Seek staff input in planning youth ministry activities
• Be a resource person to parish staff on issues related to youth and youth ministry
• Serve as the liaison with the pastor, parish staff and the parish council
Parish Youth Ministry–the parish youth ministry program integrates adolescent catechesis into a comprehensive ministry to, with, by and for young people. The CYM’s responsibilities include:
• Facilitating the Youth Leadership Team, which is responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating a comprehensive youth ministry program
• Coordinating the recruitment, training, supporting, and evaluating of volunteers in the youth ministry program
• Developing a systematic and intentional plan for adolescent catechesis that utilizes a creative variety of formats, settings, and timeframes
• Providing resources (print, video, web, diocesan events) for effective programming
• Providing appropriate training for the adults and young people in leadership positions
• Fostering the involvement of young people in the life of the parish
• Coordinating the outreach to and evangelization of all young people in the parish
• Providing appropriate services and programs for parents of adolescents
• Advocating for a comprehensive vision of youth ministry, based on the1997 USCCB document, Renewing The Vision: A Framework for Catholic Youth Ministry
• Serving as the liaison with the diocesan office of youth ministry and their programs, services and resources
OTHER OR SHARED RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Collaborate with the Liturgy Committee in the implementation and development of the youth liturgy (contemporary liturgy)
• Collaborates with other staff in planning common projects
QUALIFICATIONS TO PERFORM THE JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
Education and/or Experience:
B.A. in Theology, Pastoral Ministry, or related field, knowledge of Catholic teachings, catechesis and documents on youth ministry
Strong verbal and written communication skills; proficiency in composing reports, correspondence and letters and in publishing e-newsletters and flyers in English and Spanish, ability to develop and facilitate youth programs; ability to read and understand church documents and guidelines.
The employee must be able to work cooperatively with other members of the staff and with youth leaders and volunteers. The employee must be able to multitask.
The employee must be bilingual in English and Spanish.
The employee must have knowledge of Church structure and culture. The employee must have knowledge of current youth culture and current trends and issues within those cultures. Requires the ability to maintain confidentiality.
How to apply:
Please send cover letter and resume to Lety Gomez at email@example.com